This year’s Hacktoberfest edition has now come to an end. Everyone seemed to have a really good month, as the parting numbers reveal. Here they are, in case you don’t feel like clicking the link.

  • 239,164 pull requests
  • 31,901 completed challenges
  • 64,166 participating repositories

These figures may be somewhat inflated as people didn’t mind submitting one or two cheeky PR’s just to get their stats up but I think, overall, Hacktoberfest was a major success and I’m 100% certain most participating projects really appreciated the boost their repos enjoyed during this time.

As for me, I’m proud to say I exceeded the four PR target by two with contributions to the projects I talked about in my previous article.

  • librini: my PR was accepted. The bug report I filed was dismissed without a resolution. Oh well… I’ll probably end up fixing it on my fork like I said I would, since I do plan to use it on my own cim project.
  • vault-viewer: this is the repo I’ve contributed the most to, since I use it often. Improvements to navigation and formatting, a couple of usability improvements and a whole load of refactoring.
  • s-tui: my PR, which was merged recently (thanks!), added the ability to run arbitrary shell scripts when certain thresholds -like CPU temperature- are exceeded. I enjoyed writing this PR in particular as it added brand-new functionality to a rather cool tool that I can now use on my brand-new Raspberry Pi 3. I also love getting every opportunity to write some Python.
  • ranger: I had to take a bit of a detour to get somewhere with this PR… which didn’t become a PR after all in the end. The idea was to fix the image overlaying issues that were affecting users of many different terminal emulators other than urxvt or xterm. So most of the work here was put in to figure out what’s going on rather than fixing it. Turns out w3mimgdisplay, the binary w3m and ranger use to paint images onto the terminal, expects you to run an xterm-like emulator like urxvt; anything else, it doesn’t really handle. I reported the issue upstream, that is, on Debian’s fork page, which is the only w3m codebase being maintained nowadays.
  • neovim: given there wasn’t much I could do with ranger, I decided to give neovim, my favourite text editor, a go. Neovim is a Vim fork developed from the idea that Vim could be more efficient than it currently is, and have a much nicer and modern codebase than it has. Neovim tries to keep feature parity with Vim so they’re always accepting new PR’s to merge “upstream” patches. That’s what I did, still working on it actually…

Good fun, good work, and kudos to Digital Ocean for organising stuff like this (though you couldn’t say the publicity they got wasn’t a big bonus for them…). That’s a wrap for Hacktoberfest 2017, see you next year!